Sunday, February 7, 2010

You're Only as Old as You Feel!





While it’s true that our guests have rated us the “#1 Small Hotel in Jackson” on Trip Advisor, we’ve recently come up with a rating classification of our very own. If we’ve learned anything our last 5 years as Innkeepers, it’s that we undoubtedly attract “The Most Interesting Guests in all New Hampshire” … and this is continually being reinforced for us on a daily basis.

Today I’d like to introduce you to two of my Heroes. We met them here when we were newly-inducted innkeepers, and like many of our returning guests, it didn’t take long for us all to become fast friends. Gene Fontaine (right) and her sister Eloise, are two of the most interesting people I have ever met, (and at nearly-ninety and 88 respectively) they are undoubtedly two of the ‘youngest-at-heart’. For them, age is entirely relative, and I know they wouldn’t mind me sharing theirs. Like my own sister and me, they are as different as night and day, but extremely close. Each year Gene returns from her world travels (which in the last year or so have included Bhutan, Siberia, most of Europe and the far east) and meets her sister at the Lodge for about 10 days of daily Cross-Country skiing and other adventures. I don’t care how old you are, or in what kind of shape, I defy anyone to try to keep up with them either physically or mentally. The other morning Gene led us all in morning exercises – a daily 20 minute routine which she devised herself. She had us all lying down on the lobby floor as we did our “crunches”, “side-to-sides”, arm exercises (so we’d “all have arms like Michele Obama”!), and our bicycle exercises. It was quite a sight to behold, I’m sure! She warned us that she always works out in the nude, but that she’d make an exception for us that morning! It was an exhilarating physical workout and I’m now a convert. (Gene, I’ll think of you every morning when I do your routine!). Eloise said she wasn’t feeling quite as steady on her feet this year as in years past, and told me that she’ll probably only XC ski till she’s 90, and then take up snow shoeing. While here, she spent quite a bit of time writing musical arrangements for her band, which includes several electric guitars and herself on keyboard. I ever you want a shot in the arm and a hefty dose of inspiration, come to The Lodge for a visit in January when these two remarkable women are here. Gene, who lives in Cuernavaca, Mexico, has an extensive travel itinerary planned for the coming year, which includes her big 90th Birthday Bash in NYC. Trekking through Afghanistan is also on her wish list. These lovely sisters are definitely my kindred spirits. I will be forever changed for the better for having known them, and eagerly await their return next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment