Thursday, April 22, 2010

What is white with white, and white all over?


What is white, with white, and white all over? Give up? The Baltimore Airport in the fog!! My layover flight, en route to West Palm Beach, landed there today, but you could have fooled me. The only way I knew we had actually touched down was by the feel of the rubber wheels on the runway and the sound of air resistance against the wings as we taxied to a halt. I have never seen such white-out fog in my life, apart from my various extreme weather adventures atop Mount Washington. Even when the plane connected to the terminal, the Southwest building was totally obscured from view, and needless to say, the second leg of my trip was delayed. To my eyes, the fog never did improve, but once the planes were given the 'green light' for takeoff again, the control tower made each one wait an additional 5 minutes for extra 'good measure'! Not exactly confidence building, but better than not waiting at all, I suppose ... or taking a stab in the dark and hoping for the best! (And we all thought airline traffic control was a science!!!). The second leg of my journey brought me to the land of palm trees and 70-degree temperatures, where I was met by my mom and my neice, Donielle. I arrived in the afternoon, so we stopped at one of my favorite lunch spots near the airport, "Sweet Tomatoes" which I have been trying to get to open a location here in the Mount Washington Valley of NH ever since the last time I visited. (I even went so far as to contact their corporate office about getting a franchise, only to find out that their stores are all down south and company owned. Darn ... to a salad lover, the place is heaven on a plate). Anyway, I am here for the next 5 days to decompress and enjoy my sister and her family. I will try to write when I can, but my laptop is home and getting computer access and internet here is a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment