Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Indian Summer

So much rain we’ve had (I know we needed it) … with a bit more on the way, but that is tomorrow and today is today, the perfect fall Indian Summer day. Everyone is happy, some playing hooky, all the rest of us wanting to!

Temperatures are in the mid 70’s with clear skies and beautiful fall colors bedecking the trees. This must be why we are getting so many walk-ins here at The Lodge today. I was just in town and looked up at Mount Washington and the rest of the Presidentials … clear as a bell! This is good news as our youngest son, Joshua, is on a 3-day / 2-night camping and hiking trip in the White Mountains, and we were anticipating 3 soggy days for him. At least he had one day of autumn loveliness, the rest will just have to be whatever it is. Some of my best hikes have actually been in the rain. A bit of water can’t dampen your spirits unless you let it.

Speaking of beauty, our family watched a fabulous DVD last night: Disc 1 of Ken Burn’s PBS Series on our National Parks. It was so interesting; this disc focused on Yellowstone and Yosemite. As yet, I have been to neither (though I hope to see both before I die) and we gasped at the beauty of the scenery … although truth be told, our White Mountain National Forest is just as gorgeous, but in a different way. I highly recommend this series. My best friend told me about it and I am so glad I heeded her recommendation. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, any documentary by Ken Burns is really well done. I've only seen one in the National Parks series...but I did see the Civil War documentary and that was amazing. In fact, they've been running episodes of that on my local PBS station this past week...part of their pledge drive!!!

    I talked to a customer from New Hampshire today....and immediately thought of you!!! I hope you are enjoy the weather!!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete