Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Start of Birthday Month

Today is our son Christopher’s 24th birthday, but now that he lives in Pittsburgh, it is the start of a new era in the Birthday Department. Almost everyone on both sides of our family has a September birthday, and it has always been quite a month, with Christopher traditionally kicking it off and making the biggest splash. Without him here this year there wasn’t a Strawberry pie AND a Peach/Blueberry pie, a giant feast requested or a huge stack of presents to be wrapped. Hmmm, after years of stressing out in September, I could almost get used to this. Since both of our mothers have stopped celebrating their yearly milestones, those are two more to check off the dwindling list; and with Noah away at college, that’s one more cake to bite the dust. Of course Josh has been considerate from Day 1, making his grand entrance on the exact same day that my husband was born … didn’t that make it easy? … AND they both like the same kind of chocolate cake! Years ago when my kids were small and I had so little time for such things, there were actually 8 birthdays to celebrate in September. One year in the spirit of efficiency, I tried to celebrate them all on the same day with one big bash, because truthfully, by the end of September, not one of us could look at another slice of cake. This brilliant idea of mine went over like a lead balloon. But this year, I think one birthday is all we’re actually going to get to celebrate: Dana and Josh’s on the 17th. Now that I got my wish, I’m not sure whether I actually like that or not. I guess I’ve only got a few years to wait until grandchildren come along, and undoubtedly they will uphold the famous Belcher tradition and be born in the month of September! (P.S. Happy Birthday, Chris!)

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a sweet post...you know what...maybe you can't c elebrate all those birthdays in September...and you do have an usually high amount of September b-days :) :) :)...but maybe when you have all your chicks gathered under one roof, you can have a super huge party to celebrate everyone being back together...just because party :) :) :) Hope your week is good!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete