Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day


If you are a Mother or about to become one, I wish you a very Happy Mother’s Day on this amazingly cold, actually snowy day in Jackson. I must admit that my mom and I are not particularly sentimental about this holiday, however, which we believe to have been designed exclusively by Hallmark and the restaurant industry to increase sales. To give them the benefit of the doubt, though, the card companies may have originally had something slightly more noble in mind as a reminder to those distant (in more ways than one) children who need to contact their moms, if only once a year. But that sort of sentiment is sort of like changing the batteries in smoke detectors, and with just about as much feeling. My mom and I, on the other hand, think that the essence of Mother’s Day is ‘more attitude, less obligation’, and is measured over the course of the year rather than a particular day. And so while flowers, chocolates, dinners and cards are all okay in themselves, children’s love and appreciation are what it’s all about; knowing what you really mean to them, as Chris and Zia have shared with me this day. I have always thought motherhood to be the highest and best of callings, and it is so incredible to know the extent of the love they actually feel for me. I am totally overwhelmed today by my kids; and no matter what else may happen, this is a Mother's Day I will never forget. (A huge thank you to Noah for his sincere Mother's Day words!! His was a phone call that meant more to me than almost anything I have ever had said to me by anyone). Wishing you all the very best, this, and everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment