Monday, May 17, 2010

Life is Too Short to be a Martyr


I belong to some wonderful organizations; one of them is the Mountain Garden Club (http://www.mountain/
gardenclub.org/ ). I’m convinced that it’s one of the most active, organized and best community-oriented groups going! Being a busy business owner, however, has kept me from attending most of their meetings the last couple of years. Then last winter I had an epiphany about this. I’ve been an active person all my life … and with any luck that will continue until the day I die of old age. People like me are ALWAYS busy; that’s why we get so much done!! … but that’s no excuse to be martyrs and never have time to do those things we love to do. Life is just too short to put on hold indefinitely! Once I came to this obvious conclusion, I made some changes in my life. Despite my ‘busy’ schedule, I followed my dreams and became very proactive. I got involved with Mary Jane Butters and the Tumbleweed Company, two things I’ve been obsessively interested in for years. I also decided to be active again with a number of clubs I have been a member of since I moved to New Hampshire, the Garden Club being one of them. Today’s meeting confirmed for me how important it is to get involved with things we feel strongly about. In addition to some great networking, I learned how to make a ‘Living Wreath’. It was such a unique and beautiful idea, I want to share it with you. It’s the perfect project to undertake on such a beautiful spring day such as this!

Living wreaths can be hung inside to brighten a room, or outside to add interest to a patio or garden. They can be made with all sorts of green plants and flowers. Our speaker today used succulents, such as hens and chicks. These unique wreaths are wonderful conversation starters and they are also incredibly easy to make. These simple instructions will guide you through the process of making a 12" living wreath. Here’s what you’ll need:

1 12” Concave wreath form
3 lbs. Sphagnum Sheet Moss (you will probably have some left over)
Bucket or tub for soaking moss
Non-porous gloves
1 16qt. Bag of Potting Soil
1 Spool (also called a Paddle) of Fine Gage Floral Wire
2 Packages of Floral Pins (25 pieces per package)
Long Tweezers or Chopsticks
Spray Bottle (optional)
Some Great Plants!
If you are interested in saving some money, it is possible to start your living wreath with just a few healthy plants, by training them to fill in the wreath form over a period of time. If you would rather have a fully finished living wreath, simply use the size of the wreath form to help determine the number of plants needed to fill it. However many plants you decide on, remember that choosing an odd number will help to keep the design of your living wreath well balanced. With such a wide variety of suitable plants to choose from, finding something that fits your style shouldn’t be difficult. Look for plants that sprout roots quickly such as ivies and philodendrons. Some flowering plants such as violets, pansies and alyssum can be used as well; in fact many flowering plants will accommodate the structure of a living wreath. Succulents come in many shapes and colors and most make great living wreaths because they are so easy to care for. Mint, thyme, rosemary and many other herbs can also be used. The important thing to keep in mind when you are choosing your plants is that they should all have similar growing requirements. Make sure that each plant you choose shares common soil, water and sunlight needs. Be sure to pick up potting soil that is appropriate for the type of plants you will be using. Succulents for instance, prefer a sandy quick draining soil, while violets thrive in fertile nutrient rich soil. Be creative with your selection and try mixing plants with different colors and textures. If you can bring yourself to part with your finished project, these also make great gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment