Sunday, May 2, 2010

Love is in the Air ... and I Think its Contagious!


Yesterday I told you that our son Chris got engaged to his sweetheart, Elizabeth. What can possibly match something like that? Well, let me tell you! Today I’m here to announce some other big news: Our OTHER son, Noah, just got engaged too!!! Now, what are the chances of two sons getting engaged just one day apart?! (Actually, I had thought it would be really cool if they both proposed on the same day; then they could always celebrate their engagements together. But, as I was the only one in the family who liked the idea, it promptly got tabled!). Anyway, since neither wanted to encroach on the other’s special date, Noah chose May 1, one day later than Chris’ engagement. In doing so, he was duly respectful of his big brother, but then … respect only goes so far … he wasn’t going to wait one minute longer than he absolutely had to!!

Of course, this coincidence of proposals was only a surprise for his fiancĂ©, Dana … we’ve been clued in to the fact for quite some time! (Noah, by the way, is our almost-21-year old son who does our Lodge website. He’s studying at Johns Hopkins University, majoring in Computer Science and Mathematics). Noah met his fiancĂ© 5 years ago, also, (coincidentally) at Civil Air Patrol like Chris, and also, (coincidentally again), with a woman who has the exact same name as my husband! (There are soon going to be TWO ‘Dana Belchers’ in our family … and so again I ask: What are the chances?!!). Noah and Dana were both 15, the same age I was when I met my husband-to-be. From the start they also knew they were meant for one another and would someday marry. Now, five years later to the day, Noah has asked Dana to marry him … she has said YES, and we couldn’t be happier with our new future daughter-in-law! Dana is finishing up her second year at Patrick Henry College in Virginia, and we are delighted that she will be spending the summer with us, working at the Front desk here at The Lodge. But there I go again; I’m always getting ahead of myself! First I should say that Noah is planning a long engagement. He has 3 years to go in a dual Bachelors/ Masters program at JHU, and wants to be stably situated before he actually gets married. Noah has been talking to us for more than a year now about this, asking our advice. He also requested a Purity Ring as his Christmas gift 2 years ago. A few weeks ago, after many conversations on the subject, we gave him our unconditional blessing for this relationship. As a result, last Saturday he drove more than 6 hours from his school in Baltimore, to Dana’s parent’s house in New York State, to ask her father for Dana’s hand in their future marriage. He was extremely relieved with the answer he received and returned to school, beaming, later that afternoon. (Dana never knew!). Noah’s proposal plans were not so grandiose as Chris’ … but then he is a ‘classic’ Renaissance man who does not need to compete with his brother, or go completely over the top to make something really meaningful or special. He does things his own way, not with eyes to ‘impress’ but from his heart, and very sincerely. He is a magnificent blend of ‘humility’ and ‘substance’ . Noah chose a special scenic lookout in the Shenandoah National Park of Virginia, overlooking a panorama of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. He had written a wonderful poem for her, made an incredible picnic lunch, and on one of the most beautiful summery days of the year, he asked the love of his life to marry him. Didn’t I tell you these Belcher guys are Romantics? Can’t you almost hear the violin strings? My husband and I feel so blessed to have homeschooled our four uniquely special children, and to see them growing into such responsible, wonderful adults. While we always prayed for Godly spouses for them all, we could only guess who and what their soul mates would be like. And now, in the space of two days, we have become the parents of two more beautiful daughters … both the answers to a lifetime of prayers, hopes and dreams! One thing is for sure in our family … life here is always a never-ending, continual adventure! I can only wonder what tomorrow will bring?!

1 comment:

  1. What a special family! And I am so proud to part of it too! Congratulations to Noah and Dana on your engagement. I knew this day was coming and I have been anxiously awaiting to hear about it. What special nephews I have, not to mention my wonderful sister who writes about them!

    ReplyDelete