Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's a Wonderful Life


Today is May 8th … my father’s birthday. My dad has been gone since 1983, and unfortunately, that was so long ago that he never got to meet any of my children. Happily however, his twin brother (my Uncle Bruce), and his wife (Aunt Ruth), have been like second parents to me, as well as surrogate grandparents to my kids. They are two of the best people who have ever lived. This year, though, May 8th has been looming on my personal horizon as a day of sadness, because Uncle Bruce passed away on March 31. It was very difficult to say goodbye to him, almost like losing my father twice. But shortly after I got home from his very touching funeral, I got an idea that will help their memory live on today in a happy way for my family and me. Our little Jackson Community church, with its iconic New England steeple beyond the covered bridge, has a lovely tradition of ringing the steeple bells in memory of a special person (or in this case, TWO special people). This morning at 9:30 am, the bells will toll for them, and in fact, the church will be lighting the steeple each night for the entire month of May in loving remembrance.

Although Dad and Uncle Bruce were twins, and were close as brothers, but they were also as different as night and day. Dad was short and rather quiet, Uncle Bruce tall and outgoing. I always called them the Country Mouse and the City Mouse! My dad was the rural ‘country’ guy, and his dream (like mine) was to retire to a little cabin in the woods on the far edge of civilization. He heated our entire house with wood (we used to split and stack wood together), he loved buying antiques and farm implements from out of the way country shops, and he lived a very simple lifestyle long before it became the “green” hip thing to do. Uncle Bruce on the other hand, lived in New York City, until he retired after 30 years of faithful & loyal service in the petroleum industry. He was very methodical and precise, and he loved people. In fact, his funeral service reminded me very much of the final scene from one of my favorite movies: It’s a Wonderful Life. The ultimate Good Samaritan, he was considered a friend by all who were lucky enough to know him, and there were MANY. Outward differences aside, Dad and Uncle Bruce were both raised to be good Christian men, with strong values, honesty and integrity. They were men of character. Also, they both served our country during World War II; my dad in Europe in the Battle of the Bulge; Uncle Bruce in the Pacific. Next month, even after the steeple lights dim, the light shed in the world by these two wonderful men will live on and on, and because of this, May 8th will always be a happy day for me.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much, Cathi, for this article and for letting the church know about Dad and Uncle Bruce. I was listening for the bells yesterday and could hear them in my mind. I can't believe Dad has been gone so long, but now I know he and Uncle Bruce will be celebrating their birthdays together.

    ReplyDelete