Friday, May 14, 2010

A Stitch in Time: The Jackson Sewing Club


I enjoyed a change of pace yesterday, when I went over to the Jackson Community Center to meet up with some of the local ladies at the monthly sewing club meeting. I’ve been a member of this group since I moved to New Hampshire, but it’s been a while since I’ve been able to carve out enough time for myself to be part of their activities. I’m glad that came to an end yesterday, because it was a wonderful combination of ‘socialization’ and ‘productivity’, as we taught each other new knitting techniques and shared local and personal ‘news’ with one another.

The group has quite a long and colorful history. Since 1917 the Jackson Women's Sewing Club has provided a gathering place for the ladies of the village who wish to help their neighbors, and this group has been such an integral part of the social history of Jackson. Their original mission was to do something on the home front for the "Jackson boys" serving in WW I. The founders decided to wrap bandages and to knit mittens, socks and scarves to send to the troops serving overseas. They also started making aprons - this was a popular item because, at that time, most women wore aprons while cooking and cleaning, a tradition I think should be re-instituted!! (I don’t know what I would do without my aprons! They’ve been part of my own personal ‘wardrobe’ since I was in my 20’s!). Anyway, over the years, the ladies took turns hosting the meetings in their homes. As the group became larger, they began meeting at the parish house, which is now a private residence overlooking the Wildcat River in the Jackson Falls Historic District. The annual apron sale became quite an event! All the aprons were hung on a clothesline, which was strung up behind the Jackson Community Church. One hundred aprons might be sold during a successful sale day!


The club today has many members and sewing is no longer a prerequisite for belonging. Many handmade items are offered for sale at the annual Christmas Silver Tea, Farmers Markets and Art Shows. In 2001, the JWSC published a recipe collection entitled THROUGH THE COVERED BRIDGE, which has sold out. All proceeds from the Christmas Silver Tea bazaar, cookbook sales, raffles, bake sales and other projects are used to help the people of Jackson - especially in case of fire or other catastrophes. The Priscilla Bissell College Scholarship is given to a Jackson student each year. Also, Christmas gifts are purchased for local children through the Angels and Elves, a non-profit organization in the valley. The ladies meet on the second Monday of the month and graciously welcome new members. Being part of the “sewing circle” yesterday reminded me how important local grass-roots associations of women can be, and how important it is to carve out even just a few hours a month to be part of such a gathering!

No comments:

Post a Comment