Monday, June 7, 2010

Come See the Rare Bicknell's Thrush

This is the time for viewing birds of every description! I noticed that our hummingbirds have returned from their winter vacations, so I just boiled up a fresh batch of nectar for them (1 part sugar, 4 parts water). Now it’s waiting to cool down so I can pour it into our 2 dozen feeders that hang between guest rooms. Just last night we got a close-up look at a tiny fledgling sparrow in the bushes behind the Lodge. As evening approached, he was still sitting there, too scared to try his wings, baby bird fuzz still sticking out of the side of his head. It was a sight only a mother could love … and being a mother myself, I thought he was absolutely the most adorable little thing I’d ever seen (except for my own kids, of course). As I clicked photo after photo of him with my camera, I obviously made his parents very nervous, as they hopped from branch to branch, making a huge racket which they hoped would distract me. I noticed that my little feathered friend was gone this morning, which I will take to be a sign that he finally found his courage as well as his wings. I do not want to contemplate the alternative. As a former wildlife rehabilitator, I know only too well the difficulties of bird survival.

Sightings of this sort are random, requiring the good luck of being in the right place at the right time. But you have the opportunity to see some very special bird life over the next few weekends here in the White Mountains! The “right place” is Mount Washington, and the “right time” is June 9, 12, 13, 16 and 18! I’m talking about the Bicknell’s Thrush Guided Tours, which will once again be offered by the Mount Washington Auto Road. Bicknell’s Thrush is an extremely rare species with very limited breeding grounds. It is the rarest and most secretive of the breeding thrushes in North America and it is the only bird whose breeding is restricted to the Northeastern part of the continent. They usually breed at higher elevations, normally nesting above 3,000 ft. The unique yet harsh climate of the White Mountains is just what the birds prefer due to the combination of low vegetation and abundant moisture, and the Mt. Washington Auto Road offers you a unique opportunity to view these rare birds. The Bicknell's Thrush Guided Tours leave early in the morning before the Mt. Washington Auto Road opens to the general public, to cause as little disturbance as possible. Cost is $50 per person, and advanced reservations are required. Tours depart from the base of the Mt. Washington Auto Road at 5:30am (please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to departure); and tours are approximately 2 hours in length. To reserve your spot, call Mary Power at 603-466-3988, and tell them the The Lodge Lady sent you!

No comments:

Post a Comment