Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Prayer Shawl: Love Made Visible

Sometimes life crystallizes itself in moments that we can recollect and savor much later … at a moment’s notice. Similar to a piece of music or the scent of something that creates a de ja vu moment, it becomes a reflection of something deep, triggering emotional connections to another person, place or time. Today I want to share my Prayer Shawl, made for me by a complete stranger through an act of pure, unselfish love, and I will never be able to see the one without associating it with the other. A bit esoteric perhaps, but there is a lovely story here.

At the end of April this year, I lost my dear Uncle Bruce. He was my father’s twin brother, and because my dad died so very long ago – even before my grown children were born -- Uncle Bruce was like my second dad. My mom and I were staying with my Aunt Ruth, his wife, during the days prior to his funeral, and one morning she came into the living room with a beautiful hand-crocheted shawl in the most exquisite colors of lavender and blue. I love all sorts of fiber arts, but was magnetically drawn to this piece of handwork especially. My aunt said that it had been made specifically for her by Lois, a new member of her church, and that it was called a Prayer Shawl.

I have often seen the Prayer Shawl books in craft- and bookstores, and love everything about what they are and stand for. The act of making one of these shawls is a ministry of love, the idea originally created by two women, both graduates of the Women’s Leadership Institute of Hartford Seminary. The idea is that compassion and the love of knitting or crocheting are combined into a prayerful ministry and spiritual practice which reaches out to those in need of comfort and solace, as well as in celebration and joy. Many blessings for the recipient are prayerfully infused into every stitch while it is being created, and then a final blessing is made before the shawl is sent on its way to do its healing work of embracing and comforting. Some recipients have continued the kindness by either passing it on when they are no longer in need or by making one for someone in else; a ‘Pay it Forward’ type thing. Thus, the blessing ripples from person to person, with both the giver and receiver feeling the unconditional embrace of a loving and sheltering God.

Aunt Ruth made a point of pointing Lois out to me that afternoon at the church, and I was so blessed to make her acquaintance. I told her how much I loved the prayer shawl she had made for my aunt, my ‘second mother’. From its beautiful and intricate pattern which looked like it had come off a weaving loom, to its magnificent colors which are two of my very favorites, I told her I could just feel all the love she had put into it, and I thanked her for her kindness and generosity of spirit for making it for my aunt whom I absolutely adore. Lois positively beamed! She gave me a huge hug and a kiss, and asked in the most humble way, “Do you really like it? Do you think I could make one for you? I would be so honored if you would let me make one for you …” I had never met Lois before, but her response was so natural, so spontaneous and so sincere, I knew that she not only totally meant it, but meant it in a way that implied that I would be doing her a favor if I just said yes! Of course I didn’t want her for a minute to think that I had been fishing for such an offer, because nothing could have been farther from the truth or my mind. But I sensed something I don’t often experience from myself or other people – a peace and a stillness that was at the same time bubbling to overflowing. It was love made visible through a lovely woman, a true servant of God.

Lois made me a shawl, and she sent it to me on Monday, by way of my Aunt Ruth who is here visiting me this week at The Lodge. It positively exudes love. I have worn it every chilly morning this week, while reading a book at my kitchen table, sipping tea. With its warmth and wooly weight around my shoulders, I feel the blessings and it has inspired me to share the same.


Shawls ... made for centuries universal and embracing, symbolic of an inclusive, unconditionally loving, God.
They wrap, enfold, comfort, cover, give solace,
mother, hug, shelter and beautify.
Those who have received these shawls have been
uplifted and affirmed, as if given wings to
fly above their troubles..."

No comments:

Post a Comment