Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Tumbleweed Has Finally Rolled on In!!!!


The BIG (long awaited) DAY has finally arrived. Last night around dinnertime the Tumbleweed Tiny House rolled in and parked itself at The Lodge, where it will reside for the next year, available for Tours, Rentals or even for Purchase. As many of you know from my Tumbleweed ‘ramblings’ over the years, I have been in love with the Tumbleweed Tiny House company for almost a decade. I’ve followed it online through their website, e-newsletter, books and pamphlets, YouTube video clips and the extraordinary media coverage it (and its founder, Jay Shafer) has received. A few of the places you might have heard about it (besides from me) could have been on CNN, Fine Homebuilding Magazine, Oprah, AOL, CBS, The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and recently on the cover of Parade Magazine … as well as in smaller publications all over the country. I’ve never really been a groupie of anything in my life, but if I were, it would have to be for this little company (and MaryJane’s Farm, for which I also write!).

But back to Tumbleweed … I love everything about these tiny homes. First of all, I love the thought of being able to simplify my life to such a degree that everything I own might be contained in a house so small! The concept of a green lifestyle -- having such a small environmental footprint – has such an appeal, that I have dreamt of it for years. Now that my children are growing up and leaving the family nest one by one, I am facing the reality of such a possibility for the first time in recent memory. (34 years of parenting so far). Anyway, having this tiny house on our property here at the Lodge is a dream come true for me.

How did it get here? Well, I responded to a posting in a Tumbleweed e-newsletter, which said: “Interested in having a Tumbleweed Tiny House as a vacation rental on your property? We are looking to partner with someone who will host the Fencl house on their property as a vacation rental. Click here to learn more …” I didn’t think we had much of a chance, but gee whiz … you never know until you try, right? I sent in a short (but passionate!) response with a photo of our website and the White Mountains of NH and not too long afterward, I heard that we were ‘in the running’. To say that I was thrilled would be an understatement! Then we made it to the ‘Top 10’ list, followed by an email saying we were one of 3 properties they were considering in the continental US, and the only one on the east coast! Now if you’ve read this far, you’ve already read the spoiler: We (obviously) Won!! J And last night after dinner, the Tumbleweed arrived, as I’ve already told you. When I write again tomorrow, we’ll take a tour through this extraordinary little piece of architecture.

1 comment:

  1. How fun...and I did read that article in Parade magazine. There's another company called Tiny Texas Houses that makes similar teeny tiny homes that leave a minimal footprint on the environment. These houses are so cute...and the creative use of space..Wow!! I'm so glad that you are able to host one of these at your lodge. I'm going to look up Tumbleweed on-line!! Thanks for posting this!! Hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete