Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hikers are Friendly Folks


A good night’s sleep can make all the difference. This morning I’m full of energy and rarin’ to go as I get ready for today’s Fencl Open House. However last night I was plum worn out, not only from the seasonal sleep deprivation we’re accustomed to as innkeepers this time of year, but from yesterday’s hike on the Tuckerman Ravine trail, which is no small feat for my small feet!
I generally like to hike alone, as I can go at my own pace without feeling that I am holding anyone up or walking too fast. I can stop and look at wildflowers or interesting rocks I find; and because I never get much private time, walking by myself is a great way to get some thinking done. Anyway, I like it, and that’s how I hiked in the Seek-the-Peak hike-a-thon yesterday: solo.

I was on the trail by 7 am, along with lots of other morning people who love the outdoors as much as I do … (and there were lots). Reports indicate that over 500 hikers sought the summit to raise money and awareness for the Mount Washington Observatory. Every single person had a smile and a ‘Good Morning’ on their lips, and I felt perfectly confident that even though I was hiking alone, if any incident befell me there would be 500 concerned and helpful ‘friends’ out there watching my back.

When hiking the Tuckerman trail up Mount Washington, you expect “steep”. No surprises there … it’s a rocky, uphill climb. But I am a person who never sweats … EVER. … but either I started yesterday or the humidity was condensing on my forehead because I felt pretty soggy. When I reached a sharp, left-hand bend in the trail on the approach to the Hermit Lake hut, I was surprised by a delicious breeze and perfectly clear, bright blue skies. Another unexpected, sensual delight on the hike were the smells, which were bountiful and so intense. Everything from the luscious smells of balsam fir and hemlock needles, to the earthy smells of moist leaves, a flower-scented sweetness coming from somewhere which reminded me of cornsilk, the ruddy scent-marking smells of raccoon and fox … and even the human smells of shampoos, bug spray, patchouli oil, sweat. It was amazing to me how intense these scents were and how they lingered after the people or animals were long gone.

I made it to Hermit Lake by 9 am, pretty good time for me. What a breathtaking view it is at the base of the ravine; worth all the effort it takes to get there! I camped out there and refueled, replenishing fluids and having an orange and some trail mix. The next leg of the trek was up the bowl, a steep climb to the headwall. I could see the waterfall up above that claimed the life of a hiker from New Jersey this week, as he ventured off the trail, and slipped on a rock. His 200’ freefall killed him instantly. As I was hiking up, a dense thick fog started rolling down the hill at record speed, creating the zero-visibility conditions that were expected at the top. I hiked a ways up there, and then reconsidered walking in a white out by myself. I had given myself permission before I even started to go only as far as I felt comfortable. And so with that decision, I turned around and had a leisurely hike back to the base of the trail, becoming a ‘Seeker’ instead of a ‘Peaker’ but thoroughly enjoying myself nonetheless … and raising money for the Seek-the-Peak fundraiser. All in all, a great day!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a bit of adventure :) :) I love hiking. When I lived in Europe, I used to do that quite a bit...and the house I was living in at the time, there was an old medieval tower about a 45 minute walk away...tucked secretly away in the forest. Very romantic and haunting...:) Glad you enjoyed yourself. You did such a good job of describing the hike, I felt like I was right there. Hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete