Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Walking Definition of 'HUGE'

Some days you get up on the wrong side of the bed; other days you just naturally put your best foot forward. And then … there are some days like today that start out incredibly awesome before you even have both eyes open! This morning I was awakened by a decidedly un-subtle nudge from my husband. “Shhh … look out the window,” he whispered in an authoritative tone. Not one to question such a request under the circumstances, I opened my eyes and looked out of the second floor windows of our log cabin, which are at the head of the bed. I saw nothing out of the ordinary, except the beauty of the woods on a rainy day, something I will never take for granted as long as I live because it is so astoundingly beautiful here. I did, however, hear footsteps, the same ones Dana had presumably been listening to for the last few minutes as they approached the cabin. A few seconds later a huge moose rounded the corner, walking within 2 or 3 feet of the house. It was without a doubt the biggest moose I have ever seen, and certainly the closest! He also had the largest rack I’ve seen in person, easily 5-6 feet from tip to tip. This time of year their antlers are all fuzzy like velvet, and the texture of it was, I think, what actually struck me even more than his size. (Did I mention that he was HUGE?!) I grabbed my cell phone from the dresser to take a picture, but his being already on the other side of the cabin, I ran into the other room for a view. I only just caught a glimpse of him through the trees, as he hoofed on down the road; not photo-worthy I’m afraid. It’s not that he was moving quickly; it was more like a slow-motion strut, but his stride was so long that he covered a lot of territory rapidly and I missed my photo-op. It will, however, go down in my personal history as one of the 10 best nature sightings of all time. Not a bad way to start the day, do you think?

1 comment:

  1. This is cool. My dad lived in Alaska for many years and he'd tell me stories of seeing moose cross the highway etc...and he said you never wanted to be in a car accident with a moose...because your car would get totaled and the moose would most likely walk away without incident. They are magnificent creatures!!! Have a great week!!! Hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete