Friday, July 16, 2010

Where There's a Will There's a Way

Okay … clarification time: Seeing a bear yesterday morning on my front porch was a pretty neat way to start the day … but I’m here to say that the second day of Bear Sightings wasn’t quite as endearing as the first. I was awakened today by the sound of a loud crash (which turned out to be my hummingbird feeder being pulled from its now-broken chain) about 4:45 this morning. I sat bolt upright in bed, and suddenly I knew that there was an instant replay going on with that bear. I ran downstairs to the window and sure enough: he had opened a can with a tight fitting lid filled (as it turns out) with birdseed. I hadn’t been able to open it for years, but apparently he had no trouble with it. The real tragedy was my hummingbird feeder, however, which is not only broken, but which I will probably not be able to replace this season without it happening again. As anyone who knows me realizes, I LOVE hummingbirds and the thought of depriving my little friends of nectar (and myself the enjoyment of watching them) is almost too much to ‘bear’! I think that I may replace it anyway, and just try to remember to bring it in every night. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that the bear destroyed the hummingbird feeder. Bringing it in at night, sounds like a good idea. Keep us all updated on how that goes!!! Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Heather

    ReplyDelete