Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lessening our Dependency on Foreign Oil

Since turning in my Mazda back in April when the lease was finally up, I decided not to get another car right away. I loved my Mazda, but with kids flying the nest left and right, I no longer needed such a big car (the days of transporting our four kids and their friends are sadly behind us). My CX-9 had more bells and whistles on it than all my previous cars put together, and I had gotten very attached to it; not to mention spoiled! I probably would have kept it had the miles-per-gallon been better. The technology for fuel efficiency has been around for decades, and goodness knows that the need to wean ourselves from foreign fuel dependency more than exists. It gets me mad that oil-interest lobbyists have had such an impact on keeping the auto industry in practically the dark ages. I laughed when I read about a bill that’s currently being discussed in Congress that would require all cars to get 25 mpg by the year 2025!! What a joke … My husband’s Prius gets more than 50 mpg right now.

My next car will most likely either be a Mini-Cooper or a Smart Car. I’ve loved the Minis for years now, but for such a small car their fuel efficiency could be better. The Smart car gets fantastic mileage but I would hate to get in an accident in a car that’s the size of a roller skate. Nevertheless I’ll be looking for one in the fall when we get some of our family’s medical bills paid off and have enough saved for Dana’s double hernia operation. In the meantime, I am borrowing our daughter’s car this summer while she is in art school, and also walking a lot around town … a great exercise! Also ride my bike a lot, and I will talk more on that tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment