Friday, August 27, 2010

Arboretum


Second day of the trip … and just as yesterday was a rather grey and misty day for travelling, today is the perfect day for “vacation”! Not a cloud in the sky, totally clear with no humidity … temperature about 80 degrees with a slight breeze. Who ordered this weather? … it’s PERFECT! We were on our way to visit my brother at his mechanic’s shop this morning, as Noah needed to get the brakes replaced on his car, when my mom said, “Let’s stop by the Orange County Arboretum on the way”. Although I grew up in Orange County, New York, I had never been to the Arboretum before, which is a fairly recent addition. Once we got there, we discovered that it was obviously a very well endowed one as well! Oh my goodness, I was totally blown away by the gardens and the setting; the fountains, walkways, arbors, flowers, and foliage, all of which had been carefully chosen for colors, textures and to delight every one of the senses. It was a beautiful little side trip, and I’m so glad she mentioned it. Thanks, mom! The other big event, worthy of note here, is that after lunch, while Noah’s car was still being worked on, we sauntered over to Barnes and Noble, one of my favorite places to “play” when I visit my mom. The newsworthy thing, however was that it was the first time in the history of the world that I ever exited a Barnes and Noble without making a single purchase. Unheard of to be sure, but right in step with my personal commitment to my “Year of Living Frugally”. It was a dangerous experience to be sure, sort of like a former alcoholic hanging out in a pub, but I came through it all one ‘step’ at a time! Lodge Lady takes a bow!

No comments:

Post a Comment