Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Princess and the Pea

“What’s it like to live in such a tiny house?” … is a question I am always getting asked when people see Jay Shafer’s Tumbleweed “Fencl” parked here at The Lodge … and honestly, until about a week ago, I couldn’t exactly have told you the answer. I actually spend my spare minutes (ha!) sitting out there with my laptop, and also talking to folks about Tumbleweeds in general on a daily basis. Each time I’m out there I am more and more convinced that for one person this is a viable (and brilliant) option. But then one night last week I just couldn’t stand it anymore … I HAD to stay overnight in it … and be the FIRST here in NH to do so (in this one, at least). I had worked very late at the front desk at The Lodge, and I dragged myself out to the Fencl and locked the door. Inside, I got so excited! The lighting inside it in the evening is beautiful. The moon was rising, the crickets were chirping, and I just sat inside, imagining what it would be like to call this “home” … no mortgage, little upkeep, a tiny budget needed to pay for living expenses. After that I was actually too revved up to sleep, so I plugged in my laptop; so civilized!! Eventually I got sleepy, so I climbed the ladder up to the loft – not a tough climb, but you need to be limber – and I lay down on the futon. Within minutes I was asleep.

When I ordered this futon a few weeks ago, I didn’t realize that I was getting a ‘deluxe’ model … I had pictured one about 4” thick, like the kind we had in college. Frankly, I can sleep comfortably on a bare wooden floor, so when this one arrived and it appeared to be a foot thick, I was rather dismayed. There is not a lot of headroom up in the loft to begin with, and the height of the one that they delivered and installed there was just too much. I was certain that I would give it to my daughter for college and try to find a thinner one. But the deep, refreshing sleep I got on it – actually twice now by this writing – was just delicious! I am now torn by wanting more headroom, and sleeping like a queen in such comfort. I think comfort has won out; sorry Zia.

I loved this experience through and through. Yes, I actually know I could live like this ... not just once in a while, not just for vacations, but full time. For one solitary person like myself, it is just the thing. "Could it house two people," you ask? I guess it would depend on the people and on the circumstances, but in my personal opinion, “No, it couldn’t; not for me anyway.” But here’s an idea. Maybe I could also build my husband one. And for any stray kids who still haven’t flown our little nest, I could teach them to build themselves one, too. Maybe we could park them in a circle somewhere, around a campfire, like covered wagons on the Oregon Trail, and be completely self-sufficient and self-contained ---- together, but separate. Yes, I could definitely see that working out!

Last night we rented it out to our first ‘official’ guest. He was from Pennsylvania, traveling through, had heard about it and wanted to give it a try. He enjoyed his stay immensely. Reservations from other guests are starting to come in now, too. I think this is going to catch on pretty quickly. It may be tougher to get myself a ‘reservation’ in it pretty soon!

2 comments:

  1. See....I was hoping this would start to take off and it looks like the good word is starting to get out about the Fencle house :) :) :) :) Oh, on the sleep versus headroom thing...I vote comfort all the way. A good night's sleep is good for inner and outer beauty...plus it just makes you feel really good :) :) :) Oh, Oregon Trail...yeah :) :) :) :) Maybe you should get some for yourself...build them or buy them!!! That would be a fun idea!!! Glad you enjoyed your stay there !!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where in PA was he from? So glad to hear about your sleep over in the fencl. George and I have been talking about it since we got home. In fact we looked around the house and tried to figure which room to try living in for a week to see if it would work. Debbi

    ReplyDelete