Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ground Rules

This is a continuation of my blog on Simple Living, and how I am going to take it to the next level in my life. To live simply and frugally, there need to be some ground rules of things to buy and those not to in my ‘Year of Living Frugally’… Without guidelines, it is all too easy to convince ourselves that ‘luxuries’ are really ‘necessities’, even when you have an iron will like I usually do. Human nature, after all …
Here are some categories I’ve thought about so far:

1. Health
On the OK List: Doctor and dental visits, medications when needed, vitamins.
Not OK: Gym memberships or expensive equipment/ gadgets that I could talk myself into but don’t need; spa treatments, pedicures, massages. (rats!)

2. Food
OK: Good wholesome home cooked food, locally grown, organic and in-season produce.
Not OK: Going out to eat more than once a month; buying something when it can be made at home (such as Starbuck’s iced tea, etc)

3. Clothing
OK: If something breaks or wears out and I absolutely need it, I will replace it with something from a consignment or thrift store.
Not OK: Buying something on a whim or because I ‘would like to have it” or ‘it is pretty’.

4. Shelter:
OK: Mortgage payments and taxes (unfortunately); utility bills, plans and materials to build a Tumbleweed Tiny House
Not OK: furniture or household decorations.

5. Education and Books
A gray area, to be sure. This is always my biggest line item expense because I am both addicted to books, and I love to learn.
OK: Classes or seminars that will further my education, both professionally and personally; books that cannot be gotten from the library or inter-library loan that I really need will be bought used; making use of books I ALREADY have..
Not OK: Buying books on a whim.

6. Transportation:
I currently do not have a car since the lease ran out on my Mazda; I walk and use my bike instead. But as a business owner, a car would be really helpful once winter comes, and I have been looking at a Smart Car as my next choice. I’ve been considering whether I should try to ‘go without’ for a year before I jump into it. Hmmm… undecided.

7. Technology:
Besides my laptop, camera and cell phone, there is very little ‘other’ technology in my life. Each of these are about 3 years old and perfectly suit my needs. I won’t be replacing them this year unless one of them crashes and can’t be fixed. However as a writer and business owner, these have become necessities in my life which I couldn’t do without.

8. Entertainment:
I do not go out much, mostly because I am always working and don’t have much free time, but also because when I do have some, I just want to unwind and be quiet. I do not foresee any entertainment expenses on my horizon, except those that I can make myself.

9. Travel:
The only travel I foresee involves visiting my son Noah down at Johns Hopkins this year once or twice; going to Buffalo to my oldest son’s wedding in May of next year, and a trip each to visit my mother/aunt/friend back in New York and my sister. Family attachments being highest on my list, these are precious connections I can’t live without.

10. Gifts:
Gifts this year will all be handmade with love, from supplies I already possess.

11. Hobbies:
I love to draw, knit, sew, do calligraphy, play my instruments, read, write, hike, etc etc etc. I will never be bored as long as I have a breath left, and NONE of these things will require me to purchase anything! Yea 

12. Spiritual:
My religion asks that I tithe 10% of my income which I will faithfully do this year.
13. Donations and Contributions:
IRA contribution money toward my retirement; up to 10% of my income to worthy causes; tax preparation services (I couldn’t do this if my life depended on it).
14. Misc.
Postage for mailing letters and writing manuscripts, Post office box fees, checking account fees, my subscriptions to my 3 favorite magazines.

So off the top of my head, those are my initial guidelines for living simply in the coming year. I will, of course, be honing them as time (and situations) arise.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathi...yeah, this is what I"m talking about..I'm going to get some paper nd write this down and then figure out some things for myself...Crafts...especially yarn and crochet cotton will be hard for me not to buy...but I'm going to figure out how I can do that and use it to encourage others too!!! This is so cool...I'll make sure and let you know when I take that year-long plunge!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :) :) :)

    p.s. I tithe 10% when I can knowing that it'll go to help people in need and I can never outgive God...I'm always more blessed in return!!!..That's how I look at it!!!...even in tight financial times I still give what I can!!!

    ReplyDelete