Friday, August 6, 2010

We Were Here First!!

Dana was taking a reservation over the phone this afternoon. It was for tonight. All seemed to be going well … until a look of confusion came over his face. Now, hearing only one side of the conversation, I couldn’t exactly tell you what was being said, but intuition told me that the person on the other end of the phone was a bit befuddled too. “Where exactly do you think you’re calling?” Dana asked her. “We’re in Jackson, New Hampshire”. And then, of course, I knew what was coming next. The caller thought she was booking a room in Jackson Hole, Wyoming! It happens at least once a year, and some of the scenarios are really funny. Fortunately for my husband, it happened to him today, because we actually had no rooms left to book for tonight … we were full! Whew … that was a close call.

The funniest story ever regarding the Jackson NH/WY mix-up, actually happened a few years ago at our front desk. Judy was still working here, it was a Sunday evening, and she and I were waiting for one last check-in to arrive. It was getting pretty late, and finally the phone rang. We both intuitively knew it was our long lost guest, calling for last minute directions.

Good, they’re close,” Judy whispered to me. “They can see the “Welcome to Jackson sign.”

Where are you exactly?” Judy continued to ask the caller. “Describe what you see around you.” From what I could tell, the woman said she was on Route 32. “You must mean “302” Judy told her. “which means that you’re still in North Conway. You’ve got a few more miles to go.” All was still right on track until the guest said she was in the Staples parking lot, looking across the street at the Wendy’s drive-thru.

“Hmmm … even in North Conway, there isn’t a Wendys across from Staples. Where are you again?”

“I’m looking right at the sign that says ‘Welcome to Jackson Hole’!”
Oops. An online reservation gone amuck.  Guess we’ll have to leave the light on for ya’!  Needless to say, they didn't make it.

(P.S. Jackson, New Hampshire was settled in 1778, 29 whole years before Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We were here first!! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathi....OH my goodness this is funny. Yeah, you definitely were there first. I'm sorry the people got their reservations mixed up. Makes me wonder just how close attention they were paying to the computer when they made their reservations? Oh well...I'm glad everything was straightened out :) :) I think I might be laughing about this for awhile :) :) :) Have a great weekend with no lost guests :) :) Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete